Color roles, coming this Monday to kdelibs?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 12 03:55:53 BST 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> there's a really unfortunate turn of conversation happening here. the colours
> roles proposed by the usability team are not really about widget styles, but
> rather use of colours within applications. see:
>
> 	http://amen-online.de/%7Eolafschmidt/colors/colors.pdf
>
> the only one of the new colour roles that i can see that might impact styles
> is the focus colour.
>
> the others are either the window decorations or content in application dialogs
> and windows.
>
> that this keeps getting dragged towards styles, both in the code and in the
> conversation, is going to make it difficult to solve the primary problem
> here: accessibility and consistency in the use of colours in applications.

I blame Simon :-). It's so very, very easy to put better shading in
KColorScheme. But maybe we shouldn't do that.

I'd be ok with a struct-like class with just the four shades and maybe
the original color, or if we're careful, maybe even put shade() straight
in KColorUtils. But this discussion belongs here:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/43099

> if we can focus on that issue, we might have a chance here =)

Well, KColorScheme as I just checked it in effectively differs from the
original proposal in one way: it lives in KColorScheme (which takes the
set as a ctor argument) and not in KGlobalSettings.

Oh, and since KColorSheme uses QBrush (like QPalette), the accessors in
KGS really *are* deprecated :-).

(Tomorrow, or at least "soon", I will see about updating the porting
.html to talk about moving away from KGS to KColorScheme...)

--
Mathew
(sorry, .sig file is on the other computer)