QProcess vs K3Process

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Jun 8 21:50:42 BST 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 04:35:28PM +0200, David Faure wrote:

> > >uhm, maybe. note that this will pull in libutil and libutempter,
> > >though.
> >
> > I don't think it's a problem for libkutils. It's very far down the
> > chain.  Not many things use that library anyways.
>
> Well I wanted to get rid of libkutils because its reason for existing
> disappeared when the trader moved to kdecore, but I guess "stuff that
> needs additional 3rd-party libs like libutil" is a good new definition
> for libkutils...

i had another thought on why this "dumping ground" idea just feels
wrong:
why do we split it off in the first place? to gain performance.
so why should applications that need *one* additional lib be penalized
by having to link *all* of them? this just does not make sense.

so obviously, i'm stil for creating libkpty.
note that this won't happen until kdelibs (or at least kdecore) is
k3process-free (i don't think we want circular dependencies :).