KNotify startup

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Jun 7 09:15:07 BST 2007

Lubos Lunak said:
> On Wednesday 06 of June 2007, Olivier Goffart wrote:
>> Le mercredi 6 juin 2007, Rafael Fernández López a écrit :
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I just wonder why knotify service is note started on the startkde
>> script.
>> > I think it would be really useful.
>>
>> The idea was to start knotify with the dbus daemon activation thing.
>> But
>> this doesn't work because this is broken by design. (It require to
>> install
>> a file in a place which is at least not possible in my installation)

The D-Bus daemon honours $XDG_DATA_DIRS. So, set it to include your KDE
installation before you start the D-Bus daemon.

I have a proposal to enhance the D-Bus activation thing with
desktop-specific configuration. But this won't help running KDE
applications outside KDE.

>> So yes, it should be probably started with startkde.
>> But it still need to be started on demand anyway to work in non KDE
>> environment.
>
>  In which case there's not much point in starting it in startkde, right :)
> ?

startkde won't help, actually. This needs to be started even when run from
outside a full KDE session.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358