inheritable d and getting rid of virtual_hook

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Jun 6 11:10:15 BST 2007

On Wednesday 06 of June 2007, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:40:22AM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > But that only works for virtuals that aren't supposed to be overridden
> > > by the user of those classes. The users don't have access to the _p.h
> > > file, so they can't override in the d-pointer either.
> >
> > obviously.
> > but virtual_hooks are for internal use only anyway, no? hmm, well,
> > actually, they don't need to be ... damn.
>
> Well, virtual_hook as public API is... as awful as it can get.
> We never used it for that, only for internal virtual methods (like in
> KArchive/KZip/KTar/...)

 But that was maybe only because nobody was brave enough :). It certainly did
include this possibility when I created it. However I think using
signals/slots for this is much nicer, and non-QObject classes ... what would
be an example of such case? I think we could find other ways there if needed.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz