Renaming Nepomuk-KDE to "Braid"

Sebastian Trüg trueg at k3b.org
Mon Jun 4 20:32:08 BST 2007

On Monday 04 June 2007 19:55:15 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 04 June 2007, Allen Winter wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 June 2007 4:55:46 am Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > on the nepomuk-kde list we had a little discussion about a new name for
> > > Nepomuk-KDE. The result was "Braid" with the meaning of "interwoven
> > > information" and a reference to GEB [1].
> > >
> > > This would mean that some parts would be renamed. I propose the
> > > following:
> >
> > I think I object.
> > Can this wait for the 4.1 release?
>
> well, it can't be done for 4.1 since that would completely change the
> libraries we are shipping. it's SIC and BIC.
>
> > I can't see a good technical reason to do this.
> > But maybe I'm missing something.
>
> i think the issue is trying to avoid having to live with the wonderful
> name "nepomuk" for the next decade =)

That is true. :)
Sorry for entering the discussion this late. My university account seems to
have died this weekend and thus, I was cut off from the core-devel list
without noticing until tonight...

As for the renaming to Braid: it is not that big a deal, mainly namespace
changes and having a decent name is very important for a project that is
dependant on developers picking it up.

And I also changes my plans a little based on Aaron's suggestion to avoid
multiple libs: I will put everything into Braid: Konto, KNepomuk, and
KMetaData, just handle them with different namespaces (yes, Aaron, I
love 'em, the highly nested namespaces, they are so much fun! ;)
That way it will hopefully be easier for developers to understand what is
what.

Cheers,
Sebastian