State of kdefx

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jul 30 23:13:58 BST 2007

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> You can only use the new binary- and source-compatible API outside the
> module it's defined on the Monday after it was added.
>
> But since kdefx and solid are both in the same module, you can make use of
> it immediately.

Except that it is more Krita that needs this :-).

Also I don't think kdefx currently depends on Solid (on anything, in
fact, recall that originally it was not kdeui because it was required to
not depend on kdeui). I think we will be able to change this now, but
it's something to keep in mind.

> Can't this information be gleaned from /proc/cpuinfo on Linux systems?

People have been begging coreutils ('uname') for years to support -p via
/proc/cpuinfo and it hasn't happened yet. I'd have to suspect there's a
reason for that... Anyway the kdefx way is inline asm to ask the
processor directly, which seems safe (and to be honest, much, much
easier than parsing /proc/cpuinfo. Oh and it it 100% OS-portable :-),
although not compiler-portable :-(. (But I can write ASM for gcc, MS and
Solaris, I've done it before.)

--
Matthew
"...anyway, that's my 0.02 toasters"