State of kdefx

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jul 30 22:58:58 BST 2007

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>Kevin Ottens wrote:
>> Le lundi 30 juillet 2007, Matt Broadstone a écrit :
>>> No, Solid doesn't report information like this, though it _should_. A
>>> little OT here, but maybe we can get ervin to chime in on what the
>>> plan is in supporting more features like this in Solid, considering
>>> the api freeze.
>>
>> I'm fine with adding this to Solid::Processor. Note that adding a
>> method for this can be done in a BC way, so you'd just have to wait
>> for the next monday to make use of it outside of kdelibs.
>
>Well, no, technically it's an API change :-) but given that winterz has
>stated that kdefx is exempt, and given his other statements on what
>"freeze" means (which are very reasonable given that this is a .0
>release) I think this change is OK.

You can only use the new binary- and source-compatible API outside the
module it's defined on the Monday after it was added.

But since kdefx and solid are both in the same module, you can make use of
it immediately.

>Well it's possibly ugly and not a patch, but see kdefx/kcpuinfo.cpp :-).
>in fact, if you can give me a go/no-go on porting that, and tell me
>where to (I assume solid/processor.*?), I can probably see about making
>a proper patch.

Can't this information be gleaned from /proc/cpuinfo on Linux systems?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358