State of kdefx

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Jul 30 22:07:08 BST 2007

Le lundi 30 juillet 2007, Matthew Woehlke a écrit :
> Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > I'm fine with adding this to Solid::Processor. Note that adding a method
> > for this can be done in a BC way, so you'd just have to wait for the next
> > monday to make use of it outside of kdelibs.
>
> Well, no, technically it's an API change :-) but given that winterz has
> stated that kdefx is exempt, and given his other statements on what
> "freeze" means (which are very reasonable given that this is a .0
> release) I think this change is OK.

Sure, note that I was only commenting for the "adding to Solid part", it's an
API change but it's BC.

> > Why is it not done yet? Well, simply because there's only 24h in a day,
> > and no one requested it, or even better sent a patch. :-)
>
> Well it's possibly ugly and not a patch, but see kdefx/kcpuinfo.cpp :-).

*looks* Uuurgh!

> in fact, if you can give me a go/no-go on porting that, and tell me
> where to (I assume solid/processor.*?), I can probably see about making
> a proper patch.

Well, seeing it's very low level and the amount of code, it'd be best to port
this as a HAL probing addon... Shouldn't be that difficult. And then it's
trivial to expose via solid. Advantages of doing it this way is that the
probing of the processor would be done only once in the system, not each time
an application ask for the information.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."