no simple way to print a QTextDocument in KDE(?)

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sat Jul 28 15:20:33 BST 2007

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Saturday 28 July 2007 15:32:53 Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>> Thomas Zander wrote:
>>> On Saturday 28 July 2007 12:45:31 Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>>>

>>> Yap; and that's a required feature for KOffice to use KDEPrint.
>> But you are not implying that you cannot hand over PDF to kprinter for
>> printing already *now*, or are you?
>
> Hmm, let me try to see if I follow this sentence;
> I need to generate PDFs directly from a KOffice app, Generating postscript
> is not usable since we'd loose fidelity.
> Therefore I can't use kdeprint *at all* in kword (and thats the reason you
> see a silly "MyPrint" file entry in the kword file menu which creates an
> output.pdf in the current dir).
>
> So, right now I'm not using kdeprint at all.
>
> Does that answer your question?

That means you currently just avoid about thinking how your document is
printed after that PDF creation.... you're just avoiding the issue, right

Now, I as a user do have this nice PDF. I load it at kprinter, and likely
will get that same dialog you screenshot-ted before. I fail to recognize
the achievement here, sorry.

[ Of course, you (as the app developer) are now 'off the hook', so to
  speak. You can say: "See, my app did create the perfect PDF for you.
  It's not my business to make sure it prints alright. Go complain with
  CUPS/Ghostscript/KDEPrint/$whatever developers...", and you're even
  right now.   ;-)    But I fail to see why you should amputate kprinter
  from KOffice, and make users load the printfile manually (as a PDF)
  from a directory into kprinter...  ]

>> (I hope the 'bread-and-butter' issues of properly embed fonts into the
>> print files are not neglected over such printing features that are more
>> akin 'nice-to-have' such as real transparency stuff...)
>
> Those things are all already fixed if we print to PDFs directly.  As you
> know Qt4 postscript printing is not really upto-date. (it uses a rather
> old standard)

Yes -- and it's the biggest single sucking issue in Qt (since many, many
years). Just noted in case repeating it somewhere from time to time does
help motivating someone to fix this.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS