no simple way to print a QTextDocument in KDE(?)

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Jul 28 14:48:53 BST 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007 15:32:53 Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 July 2007 12:45:31 Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> >

> > Yap; and that's a required feature for KOffice to use KDEPrint.
>
> But you are not implying that you cannot hand over PDF to kprinter for
> printing already *now*, or are you?

Hmm, let me try to see if I follow this sentence;
I need to generate PDFs directly from a KOffice app, Generating postscript
is not usable since we'd loose fidelity.
Therefore I can't use kdeprint *at all* in kword (and thats the reason you
see a silly "MyPrint" file entry in the kword file menu which creates an
output.pdf in the current dir).

So, right now I'm not using kdeprint at all.

Does that answer your question?

> (I hope the 'bread-and-butter' issues of properly embed fonts into the
> print files are not neglected over such printing features that are more
> akin 'nice-to-have' such as real transparency stuff...)

Those things are all already fixed if we print to PDFs directly.  As you
know Qt4 postscript printing is not really upto-date. (it uses a rather
old standard) So if I were forced to print to postscript I'd loose proper
font including font properties and indeed also nifty features like
transparency and page-bleed settings.
Though I don't think transparency is a 'nice-to-have'; its a base
requirement.

Anyway; the bug is recorded on techbase and I hope someone will feel
compelled to make kdeprint honor the new QPrinter feature of being able
to create a PDF directly.
--
Thomas Zander