smallest readable font

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss03 at volumehost.net
Fri Jul 27 15:16:14 BST 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote about 'Re:
smallest readable font':
> I must have missed that resolution: the thread rather grew beyond
> bounds. I wouldn't know how to implement ensureFontReadable, though,
> since what size is still readable for a particular user is very much
> font and user dependent.

Well, for now we could simply go with a minimum point size in the dialog,
like Thomas Zander suggested.

In the future I'd like to see something like "minimum ex height/width" in
px and/or mm/cm/in, plus an option to increase that 20% (or so) for
italic/cursive/fantasy fonts then the determine what size to set a
particular font based on how big it actually renders. (Sample with a few
characters like an 'i', an 'x', a 'w', an accented capital 'I', a 'j', and
the AE ligature and you should get a pretty good idea of the font
dimensions...)

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03 at volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))