smallest readable font

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Jul 27 12:10:27 BST 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007 12:41:46 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > I'm entirely against having the method your patch introduces, but I
> > think an ensureFontReadable method would be more flexible and remove
> > the need for a separate smallestReableFont method.
>
> I must have missed that resolution: the thread rather grew beyond
> bounds. I wouldn't know how to implement ensureFontReadable, though,
> since what size is still readable for a particular user is very much
> font and user dependent.

It was my impression from that last thread that we let the user specify a
font-size (probably by just letting him select a sans-serif font with a
specific size) and call that our 'smallestReadableFont'.

Then, on top of that, we can build an ensureFontReadable(QFont &) which
alters the passed font if its smaller than the smallestReadable one.

For a first version I guess we can just get away with a simple
setPointSize(qMax()) implementation for that.

So, most of the patch from boud is correct IMO.  The part that we
discussed is still missing.  What is incorrect is the patch to the kcm
that says this is about dockers.  Which it is not.
--
Thomas Zander