Icon renaming: links

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jul 23 13:46:11 BST 2007

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>I am working on icon renaming and have an issue that will probably
>require code to resolve.
>
>We need different icon names in KDE than they do in GNOME and I don't
>think that it is realistic to expect that the spec will be changed to
>accommodate these.
>
>In many cases, this can be solved by using links.  However, if we use
>symbolic links, this will only work on the icon theme that has the
>links.  Is there some way that these links could be placed in a file and
>  used globally on all icon themes?  Or, perhaps there is another method
>which will work.

James, if we need different icon names, does this mean that we're talking
about icons that are not on the spec?

Or are we parting from the spec on those icons?

In any case, we could have an alias file (per theme) which would lessen
the duplication of icons in some themes.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358