state of kdefx (again), BC exemption request

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 20 01:55:51 BST 2007

(I'm CC'ing kde-devel, if you have code that you know uses kdefx please
read and offer comments if you have any.)

Casper Boemann and I were talking about KStyle and its various
deficiencies (and how we can't technically address them any more due to
the freeze) while working on the Oxygen style, which reminded me of a
couple of things...

- As I understand, the major reason this library exists is because in
KDE3 styles could not safely touch kdelibs.

- The library has, AFAIK, not had any major review, and has things like
gradient generators that appear to be obsolete in Qt4.

- People (I forget who) had previously expressed a desire to kill of the
library.

I'd like to make a request to exempt this library from requirement to
maintain BC in KDE 4.0 so that we have much more time to address the API
and hopefully ultimately remove the library entirely (merging
functionality we want to keep into kdeui or elsewhere, or possibly
giving it new life as a more "traditional" KDE library perhaps in a
different module). The "nice" way to do this is to make the library
static so that it can still be used but without BC issues.

Thoughts? Other than styles, who is using the library? What parts of it
are still needed (and what has been superseded by Qt)?

If we don't do something we are going to have a superfluous gradient
maker for KDE4 lifetime :-).

--
Matthew
child: Do not try to read the .sig. That is impossible. Instead you must