Removal of kjsembed from kdelibs

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Mon Jul 16 14:17:54 BST 2007

On Sunday 15 July 2007 17:36, Richard Moore wrote:
> After discussions at akademy, I'd like to propose the removal of KJSEmbed
> from kdelibs prior to the KDE 4.0 release. The functionality of KJSEmbed is
> basically duplicated by QtScript, and it seems pointless for us to maintain
> kjsembed when we have a solution provided by Troll Tech that can do the job
> just as well. In order to do this, we need to do a
> couple of things:
>
> 1. Remove kjsembed and the kjsembed support from kross.
>
> This can certainly be done by the 25 July deadline.
>
> 2. Add support for QtScript to kross (I've looked at the kjsembed
> plugin and writing a QtScript equivalent should be pretty simple).
>
> This can probably be done by the 25 July deadline.
>
> 3. Include some plugins in kdelibs that extend QtScript in order to
> replace the functionality it is missing.
>
> This is harder to do by the 25 July deadline but could be omitted (or
> released separately if necessary).
>
> I've already implemented the basics of the plugins, so that scripts
> will be able to create dialogs etc. using ui files, though I think the
> api I currently offer to scripts needs a little more thought.
>
> I covered the details behind the reasoning for these changes in my akademy
> presentation.
If you convert the katepart code to QtScript, I am fine. Thought I must add,
QtScript in Qt 4.3 was lot slower than kjsembed for the important calls to
the C++ API of KatePart. Scripts in Kate were 4 times faster in kjsembed than
in QtScript, as their runtime is dominated by the calling costs in most
cases :(

cu
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com