Removal of kjsembed from kdelibs

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 04:27:05 BST 2007

On 7/15/07, Richard Moore <richmoore44 at gmail.com> wrote:
> After discussions at akademy, I'd like to propose the removal of KJSEmbed from
> kdelibs prior to the KDE 4.0 release. The functionality of KJSEmbed is
> basically duplicated by QtScript, and it seems pointless for us to
> maintain kjsembed when we have a solution provided by Troll Tech that
> can do the job just as well. In order to do this, we need to do a
> couple of things:
>
> 1. Remove kjsembed and the kjsembed support from kross.
>
> This can certainly be done by the 25 July deadline.
>
> 2. Add support for QtScript to kross (I've looked at the kjsembed
> plugin and writing a QtScript equivalent should be pretty simple).
>
> This can probably be done by the 25 July deadline.
>
> 3. Include some plugins in kdelibs that extend QtScript in order to
> replace the functionality it is missing.
>
> This is harder to do by the 25 July deadline but could be omitted (or
> released separately if necessary).
>
> I've already implemented the basics of the plugins, so that scripts
> will be able to create dialogs etc. using ui files, though I think the
> api I currently offer to scripts needs a little more thought.
>
> I covered the details behind the reasoning for these changes in my akademy
> presentation.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rich.

Sounds good to me, it's been a long time coming, but I think we all
agreed pretty early on that this was going to be how things
progressed; we just can't compete with a product like QtScript
realistically. I'm interested to see your work regarding QtScript (is
it located in svn anywhere currently?).

Do you plan to include say a directory in kdelibs to build our
additions to QtScript, or extend QtScript and try to merge the changes
upstream, or just develop our port of QtScript within Kross?

Also, though this might be just a minor concern, but are you
considering developing a migration path for anything currently using
kjse?

Anyway, I think there are a number of issues to be discussed here,
perhaps we could set up a time for some related people to get together
and discuss all of this, suggestions for times are welcome, I'm pretty
available right now.

Matt