KDE 4.0 Feature Freeze

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sun Jul 15 13:08:18 BST 2007

On Saturday 14 July 2007 12:17:00 pm Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> On Saturday 14 July 2007 14:44:17 Allen Winter wrote:
> > In summary, please respond if you:
> >  - know about a new feature that can't be started before 25 July AND
> >  - think this feature is critical to the 4.0 release AND
> >  - want the freeze delayed
> What are we going to do with plasma? there are some *vital* features (like
> scripting) that are not implemented yet (altough the work going on on plasma
> is a lot) and also the plasma libs lack many very important features.
> Can an exception be made for it, and the freeze delayed? I think those
> features are crucial for 4.0.

We need to differentiate Plasma (the framework) from Plasmoids (the "apps").

IMO: Plasma should be exempt from the feature freeze until we
begin the Release Candidate cycle: it is simply evolving too quickly
and it is far too important to the KDE 4 identity.

We should draw the line on new Plasmoids at 25 July, I think.

-Allen