KDE development with git

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Fri Jul 13 07:37:14 BST 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 01:54:39 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2007 08:05:43 am Paolo Capriotti wrote:
> > since a few days, I've been experimenting with git for managing my KDE
> > project (playground/games/kboard) and git-svn to interface back to the
> > KDE svn repository.
>
> Yeah, while I haven't gotten around to KDE hacking yet (I'm still pulling
> down revision history via git-svn), I use git pretty much exclusively at
> work, even though the central repository it SVN.
>
> I am really liking git as a tool for myself personally, but there's a
> number of issues with it that I think would make moving the KDE project
> over to it... something approaching disastrous.  The inability for git to
> pull less than the entire history of the project for the initial checkout
> is a large issue (bazaar has fixed this flaw in their distributed VCS).

Have you see git clone's --depth option that addresses this problem?

(see also git/Documentation/technical/shallow.txt for more details)

Besides that the feature you're looking for is present, imports of other
project history in git have shown that in average the size of the entire
history compressed is usually just as big as a single source checkout. I
don't think repository size is an argument with git, provided we get the
project boundaries right (which isn't hard I think).

Simon