KDE development with git

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Jul 12 11:22:52 BST 2007

Simon Hausmann schrieb:
> On Thursday 12 July 2007 08:12:40 Ralf Habacker wrote:
>
>> Thiago Macieira schrieb:

>>> And I strongly oppose any official depart from Subversion at this time.
>>>
>>> You may use any VCS you want for your projects, but Subversion is still
>>> the only official VCS for KDE. You must import your code into Subversion
>>> if you want KDE translations. And you must import your code into
>>> Subversion if you want KDE Release Managers to release your code.
>>>
>>> So, yes, I do see the danger of spreading source code around into
>>> multiple hosting websites. That's why I urge everyone to keep using
>>> Subversion.
>>>
>>> It's too soon to move away from Subversion. Everyone agrees with that.
>>> Even the supporters of git, because they (should I say we?) recognise
>>> that git isn't ready yet.
>>>
>> On win32  there is a really cool graphical frontend for svn available
>> which makes it very easy to work with svn.
>> For git there is no native command line or graphical client available,
>> only a cygwin based, which isn't a really option. So switching to git
>> will throw back win32 development.
>>

> That is actually not correct. There is a maintained mingw port of git that
> works very well. (I am using it myself for the bits of Qt development I do on
> Windows)

Thanks for this pointer. The information i had where from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29#Portability

A native Microsoft Windows port using MinGW
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MinGW> is approaching completion,^ but
there is more work to be done, including handling of CRLF
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRLF> line endings.^ Porting Git to
Windows is difficult due to a number of architecture issues.

Ralf