KDE development with git

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Jul 12 07:12:40 BST 2007

Thiago Macieira schrieb:
> Paolo Capriotti wrote:
>
>> I do see the danger in having a zillion of different kde core projects
>> spreaded in a number of hosting facilities, and that's exactly why I was
>> proposing an "official" way to depart from svn.
>>

> And I strongly oppose any official depart from Subversion at this time.
>
> You may use any VCS you want for your projects, but Subversion is still
> the only official VCS for KDE. You must import your code into Subversion
> if you want KDE translations. And you must import your code into
> Subversion if you want KDE Release Managers to release your code.
>
> So, yes, I do see the danger of spreading source code around into multiple
> hosting websites. That's why I urge everyone to keep using Subversion.
>
> It's too soon to move away from Subversion. Everyone agrees with that.
> Even the supporters of git, because they (should I say we?) recognise
> that git isn't ready yet.

On win32  there is a really cool graphical frontend for svn available
which makes it very easy to work with svn.
For git there is no native command line or graphical client available,
only a cygwin based, which isn't a really option. So switching to git
will throw back win32 development.

I really like the idea to have all kde sources in one central place. In
the opposite open source development often is very distributed - to
build a higher level package you have to take package A from here and
package B from there which could be a nightmare for packagers especially
if there are several vcs are involved.

Having all kde source on one places allows many automatically controlled
quality ensurance jobs like code analysis, coding style checking,
project structure checks, cross reference search lists and so one. Think
about sourceforge. They have combined svn  with project management and
there are many potentials to normalize software development in the
manner - if you know one structure you know all.

Having more vcs and different hosts makes this job harder and decreases
the quality for the kde sources.

my 2 cent

Ralf