KDE development with git

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 00:37:15 BST 2007

On Thursday 12 July 2007 00:12:21 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2007, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > maintainers can slowly try git out and even possibly migrate things
> > out of KDE if it makes sense for them.  As they do that we can figure
>
> is migrating apps away from the central KDE bazaar really what we want?
>
> imo, the value of the combined community of developers is worth much, much
> more than the value of any given vcs.

I wonder whether distributed does have to mean splintered. It takes someone
who has used a distributed VCS to its full power and can comment on its work
patterns as compared to KDE's. IMO it's also out of the question not to have
any central repository. Can a DVCS have something like the big KDE SVN
repository and still be more useful than SVN should be the real question
here...

On a more light-hearted note, everybody not choosing git ("the best") or
Mercurial is stupid and ugly according to Linus Torvalds. He even mentions
KDE's use of a huge SVN repository but only calls the KDE team "not really
smart" because he likes KDE =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8# (between 45:00 and 46:00)
Hee hee.
Well, the Linux kernel and KDE have very, very different approaches to "the
community thing"...

Cheers,
Andreas
--
Oboy! It's the colorized version of Citizen Kane... Oh, my mistake --
it's just the Flintstones.