KDE development with git

Paolo Capriotti p.capriotti at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 18:21:33 BST 2007

On Wednesday 11 July 2007 17:59:43 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2007, Paolo Capriotti wrote:
> > Git encourages a development model where many branches are created,
>
> as great as git has become, i think it would be unfortunate to fragment kde
> development along multiple VCs like this. it will raise the barrier to
> entry for those wanting to get involved with our various projects.

Yes, that's a good point, but if we don't want to get stuck in the current
system, there should be a way to evaluate possible alternatives gradually.
Helping KDE subprojects experiment with those alternatives (providing support
for translations and such, and maybe hosting) is IMHO a good first step to
understand the limitations of the tools we are currently using, and see what
can be improved.

> when we switched to svn, cvs was a massive pain point and git (or the other
> distributed vcs options) just wasn't "there" yet as viable options, imho.
> if we were doing it again today perhaps we'd actually consider switching to
> git.
>
> i think in a few years time we will need to make a switch to such a system
> to help accommodate development in areas where network isn't readily
> available in the way that svn requires. until then ....

Well, that's good to hear, but the advantages of git are not limited to the
possibility of working offline, though I agree this is a major feature.

Paolo Capriotti