KDE development with git

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 15:03:24 BST 2007

On Wednesday 11 July 2007 15:05:43 Paolo Capriotti wrote:
> What I would like is some kind of official support for projects that wish
> to use git (or maybe other distributed VCS's?).

I can think of (git), Bazaar, Mercurial, and Darcs. I am using Mercurial at
the moment to try it out.
I'll try to give a quick and incomplete overview, a compilation of information
found on the web.
- git has "all the features", it is very fast and quite hard to use. IMO "hard
to use" is a showstopper for a project like KDE.
- Bazaar is reportedly good at merging and somewhat slow and easier to use
than git.
- Mercurial is almost as fast as git and focuses on ease of use. Its merging
functionality relies on external tools, which is good or bad depending on the
external tools. It is very well documented.
- Darcs has very sophisticated merge support, but it's unsuitable for large
projects due to bad performance and, reportedly, is lacking good
documentation.

All of them are being used by a number of real projects. Which ones you can
find out on their project homepages.

> Generally speaking, it
> would be nice if a project could be part of KDE (for example, of the
> kde-games module), even if it is not developed in the svn repository.

Who knows, maybe one of the new VCSs can replace svn in the mid to long term.
I have no idea if any of them has push support with ACLs fine-grained enough
to support KDE style development(*). IMHO none of them is ready yet, if only
for the high barrier to entry that git poses. None of them seems to be as
simple as svn. Some kind of support for them in the short term would be nice,
but even to me who is playing with mercurial this doesn't seem to be terribly
important.
Eh, now why do I participate in this thread again?
I guess that VCSs are just an interesting topic.

(*) KDE style development: everybody is granted write access to *almost*
everything
--
I've been authorized by the jurisdiction of whatever city this is to punish
you in whatever way I can think of!