Is it "Perl++"? kstyles/oxygen/genpixmaps.cpp

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Jul 6 18:44:18 BST 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 14:28:51 Kevin Ottens wrote:
[...]
> I rarely rant, but it's on such case. Sorry for the bother, and thanks for
> your attention.

I've talked to quite some people here in Glasgow about this, the impression I
got from it

- The code is ugly and unmaintainable
- The artwork is questionable (some things are very heavy on the eye, others
  lack contrast, the Oxygen team seems to be ignored for large portions of
  their vision of a visible identity
- Some developers tried to improve the code yesterday and gave up after
  reading it

Given that this is an integral part of KDE4 (and all the intelligent stuff
Aaron told about in his beautiful features talk), we really need to find a
solution here. This means:

Someone who is able to

- write readable, maintainable and 'good' code
- work together with the Oxygen team and other people in the community closely
  and implement their vision

... needs to step up and help the current developer to either fix or rewrite
the code that's there right now.

I strongly feel that the Oxygen team has the final say here though. This is
one of the areas where we can and must show that artists and developers can
work together really well and produce something gorgeous.

I don't want to bash anyone as well, but I feel it's important to point those
things out, especially given there seems to be wide agreement in the
community.
--
sebas

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. Set fire to him and he's warm for
the rest of his life