Requiring CMake 2.4.5 ?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jan 29 00:57:29 GMT 2007

Thomas Zander wrote:
>The changes betwen 3 and 5 were marginal at best so I'm not confident
> that this upgrade is worth it.  Its hard enough to compile kde even
> without having to take care of having both a distro and a self-compiled
> cmake on your system.

The changes are deep enough that we can build tests with a lot more ease.

You don't have to turn KDE4_BUILD_TESTS on to be able to run a single
test.

Right now, if you're working on a single class, you probably want to run
one test or two. But you have to turn ALL tests on, for the whole module.

Quite frankly, I consider the ability to build tests individually to be an
incentive to new developers, not a deterrent. If at all, new contributors
are held back by the time it takes to build all the tests in module.

I know I am, and I'm hardly a new contributor.

Reinhold wrote:
>We Kubuntu users (Debian already has
>2.4.5) will be required to compile our own cmake, just because running
> tests might be more comfortable???

Yes: the uncomfort of Kubuntu users will be the comfort of everyone else.
Kubuntu must have an "updates" repository or something. Someone must know
how to create a package...

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358