KInstance redesign

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Fri Jan 19 12:15:30 GMT 2007

Hi,

after Thiago suggested to fix the static destruction issue by refcounting
KInstance to keep it until everything that needs it is gone, I started to
wonder if we want to keep KInstance the way it is now or whether we may dare
to change it completely. (LXR says 1683 references in 826 files... so much
for porting efforts)

First I think it's hard to understand what KInstance actually is supposed to
do. Perhaps the first step would be to define what it's used for and then
give it a better name. Here's how I understand it:
- without components KInstance is not needed; it could be replaced by KGlobal
- but components want some pseudo-global data, different from the host
application
- also in an application there is always only one active component which can
be identified using KGlobal::activeInstance

name suggestion: KComponentData (i00:13:02:0F:56:37t's basically a collection
of KStandardDirs, KConfig and KAboutData objects that should be different per
component). KGlobal then would provide the methods mainComponent and
activeComponent instead of instance and activeInstance.

Suggestions for the API:
- The objects should be passed by value, so that it can easily keep a refcount
(using QAtomic) of the internal data.
- The ctor that takes (const QByteArray &instanceName) could look at the
current objects whether one with that name exists and return that one (that
means you can identify a component using either the instanceName or the
KInstance/KComponentData object).

- KApplication does not inherit KInstance anymore but provides convenience
functions that forward the calls to the mainComponent object

Do you think this is a good idea? Shall I go ahead and write a first patch and
if you like it create a work branch?

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de