Integrating Gwenview in kdegraphics?

Aurelien Gateau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Fri Jan 19 00:43:32 GMT 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 9:58, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>> Of course I won't claim to have an objective view, but I think it would
>> be better to have only Gwenview, if I can make sure it provide all the
>> features Kuickshow provide and can be as fast as Kuickshow (I like
>> challenges! :-) )
>
> imho, speed is indeed one of the two important things that could be
> improved in gwenview. however, i don't think features are a problem =)

My opinion on this is that Gwenview is quite fast to show images once it has
been started and I don't think we need to optimize this anymore, but there
is work to be done in order to reduce startup time. There are probably
quite a few parts whose initialization could be delayed.

> the other issue i see is that of better usability. the interface is
> cluttered right now with a ton of toolbar buttons and widgetry. thankfully
> that's probably more easily fixable than starting a new app from scratch.
> =) my question to you, i suppose, is whether or not this is something
> you're
> interested in working on. e.g.  would working with a usability team member
> be something you'd enjoy doing?

I am definitely interested in working with the usability team. I am not
really proud of the current UI. I acknowledge Gwenview does quite some
crazy things with toolbars. And I am totally ashamed of that
treeview/bookmarkview thing...

I am in fact contemplating the idea of porting the core components of
Gwenview from KDE3 to KDE4 (mainly ImageView, and the asynchronous image
and trying to use libkonq wherever possible instead of
duplicating/recreating code for the various file views.

Aurélien