Integrating Gwenview in kdegraphics?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Jan 18 17:01:26 GMT 2007

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > * speed
>
>  You actually have no idea how right you are about this. It'd need a real lot
> of work. Just like KDE3 is no match for KDE1. There could be some low-hanging
> fruit, like having a crippled-down variant looking like 'kuickshow image.jpg'
> if that's considered important, but other than that, a lot of work on it has
> been done already, so guess how easy it will be to do more.

Actually, having gone into the matter for a bit the past few days I must
say, and I say this as the Krita maintainer, that I'm really impressed
by Gwenview's speed, especially for large images. Just loading a QImage
and bunging it in a QLabel is simpler, but also really, really
_much_ slower.

In fact, I would be quite happy if there were a way to adapt Gwenview's
two-phase display code to create a generic QImage-based image redisplay
widget. There is a lot of very clever, very optimized functionality in
Gwenview.

Boudewijn