KDE 4: Text labels underneath toolbar icons

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 15 21:03:56 GMT 2007

Stephen Leaf wrote:
> On Friday 12 January 2007 2:16 pm, Dennis P wrote:
>> First a rant.
>>
>> KDE 4 will feature text labels underneath toolbar icons by default. As
>> explained in http://oxygen-icons.org/users/david/?p=31 the texts spread the
>> icons too much. The suggested solution is simple: make shorter text labels,
>> the 9 characters of "Save as" are clearly too long and should just
>> be "Save", "New message" should be "Write" or maybe "Compose" should be
>> allowed which still uses 7 characters.
> This maybe me nit-picking and/or stating the obvious. But When shortening the
> wording for a button be careful not to shorten it too far.
> For example the "Save as" is vastly different from "Save" in applications such
> as kate, kword, etc.

That sounded to me distinctly like sarcasm. Especially when he goes on
to "So I guess other languages than English should just make up new words".

Of course, the original point is still valid (that forcing text labels
just doesn't work reasonably), but, as Robert noted, is not best
directed to this list.

--
Matthew
"But I want to cast Magic Missile!"