kfilemetainfo using strigi

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 20:34:26 GMT 2007

Hi all,

This came up on this list before but now it serious!
I'd like to start work on kfilemetainfo so that it uses the Strigi
classes to extract metadata from files. Intially this will be done by
extracting this data on the fly, later the code will be able to get
the data from the Strigi index if it was indexed.

As a start I'd like to change the api so that streams are passed to
the extractor which uses libstreamindexer to get data out. The class
FilePlugin will go, because Strigi provides similar loadable plugins.
I've looked for implementations of this class and found only two in
kdelibs and kdebase. There is a Nepomuk metadata provider that can be
used in Strigi [1], so metadata from Nepomuk will also be provided by
the new KFileMetaInfo.

What would be a good place to do this branch?

Cheers,
Jos