RFC: ideas for a simple OpenDocument API

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Thu Jan 11 15:34:21 GMT 2007

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 11 January 2007 13:00, Thomas Zander wrote:
>> On Friday 22 December 2006 21:16, Kevin Krammer wrote:
>> > having a (very) simple API for creating basic documents and retrieving
>> > some information from documents.
>>
>> The attached email may be interresting.
>> I have not looked at it, but i figured you should judge for yourselfs :)
>
> Interesting, thanks.

Yeah, thanks too :)

> Quite low level, more a Python binding to ODF than a document API, i.e.
> better than manipulating the data through an XML DOM, but one still needs
> to know a lot about ODF features and assumptions.
> I guess a more convenient API could be built on top of something like
> this.

Propably something like "A Standard ODF Object Model" (
http://conference2006.kde.org/codingmarathon/slides/Rob_Weir.odp and
http://www.robweir.com/blog/2006/10/in-dublins-fair-city.html ). So, that's
possible already and you don't need to go through Kross since the
KWord2+KSpread2 scripting plugins (in trunk (kword|
kspread)/plugins/scripting/Module.(h|cpp) - see also e.g.
http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=KSpread/Scripting ) offer a nice on
Qt's meta* based interface. So, pure calling of slots should do the trick
without the need to link against those libs. IMO it should also be quit
possible to use also QtScript to access those both libs and there
functionality dynamic...

--
Sebastian Sauer aka dipesh[sebsauer]
http://www.dipe.org/public_key.asc