kprinter & qprinter

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Tue Jan 9 03:53:20 GMT 2007

On 8 January 2007 15:22, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On #koffice, we were discussing printing and one topic that came up was
> "why does KPrinter wrap QPrinter instead of inheriting it?" The wrapper
> hides some stuff, notably the setting of the outputformat (things like
> printer.setOutputFormat(QPrinter::PdfFormat) seem impossible at the
> moment).

I had the same question for Michael Goffioul when I took up maintainership. He
didn't remember very well, but main reason seemed to be lack of features in
QPrinter that were at first offered only in KPrinter.

My intention for KDE4 is definitely to go the "KPrinter is-a QPrinter" route.

> If there are no deep architectural reasons for wrapping instead of
> inheriting, would it be okay if I tried to change that?

Of course. Thanks for caring.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org