remove QtGui dependence of kdecore

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Thu Jan 4 00:04:38 GMT 2007

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> nf2 wrote:
>
>> half a year ago i made a (very) rough proposal for standardizing a
>> simple binary message protocol for io-slave socket communication.
>> perhaps the protocol could be encapsulated in a little C-library or just
>> be a written standard. by standardizing the application to slave
>> protocol it would perhaps be possible to write plain C (or glib based)
>> clients for KIO as well...
>>

> My intention is to not change the way KIO works. I'll simply make it work
> over D-Bus. If it's possible, other applications may use it directly to
> talk to ioslaves.
>
> This is not an attempt at an unified VFS.
>
> In particular, the D-Bus method list will be very, very linked to the way
> ioslaves are implemented internally (the virtual functions of
> KIO::SlaveBase).

maybe the way KIO works is just fine. so one doesn't have to go that far
- just standardizing the socket protocol in a way that a C-client can be
written would probably suffice. the problem with using D-Bus is that it
has just not been designed for this very special purpose (to transport
gigabytes of file-data)

here are the results of some performance tests i made:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gnome-vfs-list@gnome.org/msg00824.html