proposed KAction/KActionCollection API changes

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Wed Jan 3 12:48:34 GMT 2007

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for doing this, I'm happy with these changes in general.  I'm
assuming there are no feature regressions (from the discussions I've seen
that would seem to be the case).  Can we now even assign global shortcuts to
QActions?  I guess that's a small task once this is done.

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 08:30, Simon Hausmann wrote:
<snip>
> 2) Actions need to be explicitly added to the actioncollection. The name
> used for extraction from the actioncollection (and with xmlgui) is
> specified when adding the action to the collection, for symmetry. We would
> like to use KActionCollection::addAction(const QString &name, QAction
> *action) for that.

To me it is a little unfortunate that this becomes more verbose, but no big
deal.  More concerning is the higher chance of porting bugs (missed addAction
calls).  Still, if liveui does eventually get completed, hopefully all of
this code will be autogenerated.

For actions with no name, do you pass QString() as the name parameter?  Or is
this now frowned upon..

> [ 4) Get rid of the ugly setObjectName() hiding in KAction ]

[ Although it looks ugly now, it served its purpose and I thought it looked
beautiful back then ;) ]

So to change the associated name in the action collection you just remove and
re-add the action?

Cheers,
Hamish

PS. I hope someone is looking at task 108509... it would be nice if it didn't
slip for 4.3.