[RFC] SVN Guidelines.

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Feb 27 20:50:11 GMT 2007

Tom Albers wrote:
>We already talked about the lifecycle of  KDE applications a couple of
> times. I felt it was time to fit it in some kind of document so new
> developers can get a quick overview of where the application should go.
> Below is a draft of such a document.
>
>I also added a diagram which can be added to the page. One change is
> that I would like to suggest is to get ourselves a coordinator, he
> would be a primary contact regarding questions about this.
>
>Another change is that unmaintained applications should move the
> /tags/unmaintained (name is up for suggestions). Where unmaintained is
> defined as one year without commits. The coordinator can then contact
> the listed maintainer and ask for the intentions as described below,
> this will keep playground and review a workable place imho.
>
>I hope this reflects what we discussed earlier on this list and you like
> the enhancements I suggest.

Hello Tom

Thanks for stepping up with the document.

My first objection is to /tags/unmaintained. I don't like those at all.
Simply svn rm the old code and add it to the wiki page. But there are
advantages to doing that -- i.e., you can use websvn to look at the
experimental code without having to go to the wiki and then enter the
revision number.

In any event, /tags/unmaintaned[34] is unnecessary. Maybe we can have
subdirs, but mostly I don't think it would matter.

Next, I think it's unnecessary for an application that is in kdereview to
move back and forth into playground while it's being developed. Once it's
moved into kdereview, it should probably stay there until it's either a)
ready for moving up or b) abandoned. Where "abandoned" includes "not
improving the application to meet the requirements of upper modules".

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358