I "like" Mandriva's attitude (Fwd: Re: well-known user folders, a proposal)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Feb 25 19:29:10 GMT 2007

On February 25, 2007, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> We still ship a lot of "solutions" as a default selection that 95% of the
> distributors have to exchange, add upon or have to remove for each release.
> Think of "Noatun".

this is the "what are our modules for?" issue, which is a different one from
the topic at hand (even if it does involve the same groups of people).

> Concerning Mandriva: I think Mandriva has done a lot for KDE and is still
> doing a lot for us (think of Nepomuk just as a single example). Even more

agreed.

> so if you think about the fact that they have also got to earn money. They

this "we/they need to make money" argument falls apart in the mid/long term.
it also brings collateral damage to upstream kde. we need to fix this.

> If you want to improve upon the situation the best solution is
> 1.) either making KDE more appealing for distributors by improving KDE and
> its documentation for distributors and system integrators/administrators

my question remains: from the perspective of a system integrator, what does
that look like?

we can put something together, but that may end up being not what is needed.

> 2.) or by contacting Mandriva (we have good contacts there), finding out
> what's wrong and go back to 1.)

what might make sense is to get someone who can actually address this issue
come to akademy where we can have a session about this precise issue.

we will have someone from fedora there that does packaging. surely riddell
will be there from kubuntu. i'm assuming we'll have some analogous
individuals from suse? that would leave people such as mandriva, xandros,
linspire, red flag, ark, knoppix, etc, etc... it would also make sense to
have ltsp there, imho. (i just sent an email jim m., actually)

reserving a session at akademy for this and sending out invites to these
people would be the next steps.

> Seriously, flaming on kde-core-devel doesn't help in this case.

agreed.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se