organizing kdebase

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Fri Feb 23 08:10:42 GMT 2007

Am Donnerstag, 22. Februar 2007 12:43 schrieb Benjamin Meyer:
> > knewstuff (generic app for grabbing knewstuff data; might really be more
> > suited to kdeutils or even extragear to be honest)
>
> If it requires input and can't stand alone then it would go in runtime
> otherwise if it is a stand alone app then workspace (a core feature of
> KDE4?) or kdeutils.

The 'khotnewstuff' standalone executable is of somewhat limited use right now
since it can download arbitrary data but cannot properly (un)install it -
which is no wonder given that a lot of the higher-level installation logic is
part of the applications. We could move more of that into declarative
descriptions (the upcoming *.knsrc files), but that's really up to the app
maintainers, to give input what features they want to see.

Since knewstuff2 will enter kdelibs in a few mondays, I wonder what to do
about the runtime. There is some code which needs a central place, such as
installation lockdowns (which should be somewhat integrated with kiosk),
although this code could potentiall go into kcontrol.
I haven't followed development of kdebase recently and I'm not aware of any
requirements for khotnewstuff to be in kdebase, so moving it to kdeutils or
elsewhere seems ok. Please leave it in kdebase until knewstuff2 comes in
though.

Josef