I "like" Mandriva's attitude (Fwd: Re: well-known user folders, a proposal)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Feb 22 23:49:50 GMT 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 00:33, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2007 23:53, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > I don't think they are stupid, but just clumsy. As a Linux vendor they
> > should probably know that the upstream projects can be contacted by
> > numerous ways.
>
> It just doesn't work this way in practice. This is free software, so no
> guarantee to get a reply, and it's already complicated enough to know how
> to get one (yes, it takes time to search for which mailing list to post on,
> and then to check if anybody replied). Bottom line : it's quicker to patch
> than to investigate for the right solution.

Right, I often forget that I am too idealistic and that businesses will show
no interest in quality as long as the customers are paying and somebody else
is doing the support for free.

/mental note: stop helping users who use distributions which can't be bothered
with mundane things like cooperation and user happiness.

Cheers,
Kevin

P.S: we should ask the kde-promo people to compose a list of KDE developer
mailinglists which we can then at aKademy handout to all KDE contributors
currently employed at distributions so that they can then post them at
strategic positions in their offices.

KDE user support, developer mentoring