I "like" Mandriva's attitude (Fwd: Re: well-known user folders, a proposal)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Feb 22 22:53:58 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007 23:12, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2007 21:11, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > >
> > > yes.
> >
> > Sorry, this was basically a sarcastic question :)
> >
> > I was just angry that Mandriva again(!) managed to patch KDE before using
> > the already present customization option.
>
> Chances are that they just didn't know about this option. I'd rather blame
> this on the lack of documentation on KDE's part than on their stupidity.

I don't think they are stupid, but just clumsy. As a Linux vendor they should
probably know that the upstream projects can be contacted by numerous ways.

In the end the problems appear in our tables. We have to explain to users why
they just "lost" all their email (Mandriva patching KMail instead of properly
using the config option), why newly installed programs don't show up in their
menus (Mandriva breaking the freedesktop.org menu specification by
introducing incompatible categories and removing support for the offcial
ones), why newly installed programs show up in GNOME but not in KDE
(Debian/Kubuntu breaking KDE's compliance with the menu spec), etc.

Don't get me wrong: KDE is free software, it is not only ok, it is encouraged
to change it to fit your needs, but maybe it would be possible to first check
if the desired result can be achieved without patching and probably breaking
other things on the way.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring