organizing kdebase

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 16:47:55 GMT 2007

On February 22, 2007, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2007, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > Apps and utils are really the same thing.  They are applications that the
> > rest of KDE will expect to be installed.
>
> No, that's runtime.

right =)

> Apps is really just apps. They might be installed or not.
> Of course an app belongs in kdebase and not elsewhere if it's part of the
> basic desktop, so -users- can actually expect those apps to be installed;
> but other apps can't rely on it.

exactly.

> Not at all. kde-apps scripts might use kstart to start something a certain
> way; that's a runtime dependency for scripts that users will launch, like
> e.g. kdialog. Same for kreadconfig: it's meant for scripts to use.

and this is precisely why i put them together in another directory: they
aren't user apps, they aren't workspace and they aren't dependencies for
application software (runtime/)

i'd like to see us keep runtime/ specifically as the set of dependencies that
one could expect to see required in a package manager when installing a kde
application. kreadconfig doesn't strike me as fitting that criterion at all
since application software doesn't use kreadconfig (they use KConfig)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se