organizing kdebase

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 12:24:48 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> How about: Runtime is for helper applications that can't stand on their own.
> For example you can't run kcmshell without a module.  keditbookmarks needs an
> bookmarks file etc.

That doesn't make sense to me. KEdit needs a text file, KWalletManager needs a wallet - so what?
runtime is really: the runtime dependencies of kde applications (including scripts).

> Apps and utils are really the same thing.  They are applications that the rest
> of KDE will expect to be installed.
No, that's runtime.
Apps is really just apps. They might be installed or not.
Of course an app belongs in kdebase and not elsewhere if it's part of the basic
desktop, so -users- can actually expect those apps to be installed; but other
apps can't rely on it.

> > kstart  (handy utility to start applications in various states)
> These two are workspace features.... They are almost dev tools...
Not at all. kde-apps scripts might use kstart to start something a certain way; that's a
runtime dependency for scripts that users will launch, like e.g. kdialog.
Same for kreadconfig: it's meant for scripts to use.