Moving kate into kdebase/apps

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Tue Feb 20 19:39:32 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 20:08:09 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> kdebase/apps is better than just kdebase/, though i'm not sure that's the
> best place for it.
>
> kwrite is a "simple" text editor shell around katepart while kate is a full
> blown code editor with sidebars, plugins, multiple files, etc. (though not
> an IDE), right? it seems to me that the logical place for kate would be in
> kdesdk while kwrite would stay in kdebase.
Yes, I am the same opinion. I thought, since we all talked about the
framework/workspace/apps... stuff, that kwrite alone should be enough for
the "basic" desktop which kdebase should provide.

> right now kate is packaged with kdebase, though, so i'm not sure what kind
> of implications that would have, if any, for packagers? i'm assuming not
> much, but then i'm not a packager ;)
>
> but this would help keep the modules conceptually clearer and a minimal
> install of a KDE workspace (libs+base) a bit more clean.
I would have no probs with kdesdk.
While moving stuff, any problems if I unite the kate plugins into
kdesdk/kate/plugins, as the current seperation between the plugins in
kdebase/apps/kate/plugins and kdeaddons/kate/plugins is arbitary?
(beside that the most are development oriented and would fit kdesdk well, too)

> i'm not sure how the kate team would feel about that move; IMHO it doesn't
> relegate kate to any less of a significant part of KDE but helps categorize
> it more accurately, much as we have media apps in kdemultimedia despite how
> many people use them =)
Yes :)

cu
Christoph