Add Autostart KCM to kdebase/workspace/kcontrol

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 20 01:52:06 GMT 2007

On February 19, 2007, Stephen Leaf wrote:
> On Monday 19 February 2007 3:35:50 pm Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > ah, one other item that just occurred to me: kiosk. there should to see
> > if the Exec= entry isImmutable (which would be true if the file, group or
> > item itself is marked as such). if it is, it shouldn't be modifiable.
>
> How do you check for that? Not seeing an API for it?

  bool isImmutable() const;
  bool groupIsImmutable(const QString &group) const;
  bool entryIsImmutable(const QString &key) const;
  bool groupIsImmutable() const;

these are available from any KConfigBase derived class, including KConfig and
KDesktopFile. it's also in KConfigGroup as of tomorrow.

> If so is there a dev friendly page on that?

once kconfig's API calms down a bit more (there's a merge of the biggest set
of changes happening tomorrow) i'll be writing a couple tutorials on devnew
covering the use of kconfig including a bit on kiosk. until then ... there's
the API docs only and asking people on this list, really.

> > > And while I'm on this, wouldn't it make a bit more sense to rename
> > > autostart to startup ? startup/shutdown?
> >
> > sounds find to me.
>
> I mean ~/.kde/Autostart -> ~/.kde/startup
> KGlobalSettings::autostartPath() -> KGlobalSettings::startupPath()
> so it matches the ~/.kde/shutdown

ah. well, it seems that changing this would be a good idea for slightly
different reason: it apparently causes confusion. ;)

env/ and shutdown/ are related: they can both only contain scripts and the
contents of them are sourced by startkde before and after the desktop
starts/stops respectively.

$KDEHOME/Autostart is actually more akin to $KDEHOME/share/autostart. except
that $KDEHOME/Autostart can have not only .desktop files in it, but pretty
much anything you want (they are started as if they were clicked on). things
in share/autostart must be .desktop files.

it probably is worth harmonizing the two systems into just one, as that's all
moving into ksmserver now anyways. now that i look at your patch again, i see
that you aren't looking in share/autostart at all =)

what we could do is make it a bit simpler in kde4 and have just
share/autostart. this would leave a migration path for users who had used the
Autostart directory and would leave us with what to do about non-.desktop
entries. to be honest, i'm not particularly sure what the use case is for
that which couldn't be handled by a .desktop file just as well =)

> Might also be nice to add KGlobalSettings::shutdownPath()

well, as i mentioned already $KDEHOME/shutdown/ is quite what you may have
thought it was. so i'm not sure it belongs in there.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se