Add Autostart KCM to kdebase/workspace/kcontrol

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Feb 19 21:35:50 GMT 2007

On February 19, 2007, Stephen Leaf wrote:
> On Monday 19 February 2007 12:17:19 pm Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On February 18, 2007, Stephen Leaf wrote:

> > a description of what it does and a url to a screenshot or two (so the
> > usability folks who often don't have access to current trunk/ can look at
> > it as well) would be helpful ...
>
> http://images.smileaf.org/img:31e995e1cd49674370884b402e27700a

you have an extra margin around your widgets... =)

i'll take a look at the ui when it is in review/

> > i'm not sure the term "ENV" will mean much to anyone. a more user
> > friendly string would be good there. essentially the difference between
> > env/ and autostart/ is that env is pre-desktop loading and are actual
> > scripts, whereas autostart/ is during desktop load and are .desktop
> > files, correct? perhaps the name could reflect that difference.
>
> Yah, I wasn't quite sure how to word it exactly. Just to verify the env/
> can handle .desktop correct?

no, it's scripts only. startkde actually sources them via the shell (while
klauncher handles the autostart/ stuff which is .desktop based) ...

> If not then I have a special case to figure
> in. which breaks the ui design. Oh well it was ugly anyway =) need to get
> in touch with the usability folks.

heh =)

> > the UI is hand-coded; using designer is the preferred mechanism.
>
> When I was adding kdmtheme into the KDM module ossi told me to lose the .ui
> So I figured that was preferred. But if its the otherway around I suppose I
> could separate it.

yes, ui files are preferred in kde. you will find individuals who feel
differently and apply that to their own bits of code, but the global
guideline is .ui > hand coded.

> > so perhaps adding autostart and shutdown entries to the resource dirs in
> > the kstandardirs object and using findAllResources would be more
> > accurate? env/ would still need to be loaded as you are doing ...
>
> Good idea. I'll see if I can get that in after I fix up the first 2 issues.
> Would be very nice for this and possibly the loading of the
> autostart/shutdown.

ah, one other item that just occurred to me: kiosk. there should to see if the
Exec= entry isImmutable (which would be true if the file, group or item
itself is marked as such). if it is, it shouldn't be modifiable.

> And while I'm on this, wouldn't it make a bit more sense to rename
> autostart to startup ? startup/shutdown?

sounds find to me.

as for the other app ... i don't think it matters much if this becomes a part
of kde itself. perhaps you'd like to contact the author of the other control
panel and invite him to join you in a kde4 solution?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se