KDE_FULL_SESSION and version detection

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Sun Feb 4 22:25:54 GMT 2007

On Sunday 04 February 2007 22:08, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday 04 February 2007 21:16, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  That's the intention, it's set to something when full session is
> > running, it's not set to something when not. Search me why contents of
> > boolean envvars should matter.
>
> Well, why should
> export KDE_FULL_SESSION="false"
> actually do the same thing as setting it to "true"?

 Because 'test -n "$SOMEVAR"' is much simpler and more reliable than comparing
to (half a dozen of possible) boolean representations?

> Since an environment variable can be set to almost everthing and there is a
> documented valid value, I find it more reliable to check for this value
> instead of assuming things.
>
> I got a bit angry on your first comment because you have commit access to
> the repository, the check is a single line in a single file and you're
> telling me 10 months afterwards that it is "silly."

 Well, then good luck I didn't use the other s-word, not knowing that somebody
else had assu^Wdocumented before me how it actually works in some hidden wiki
page. And I'm not going to change it in xdg-utils, whoever did it in the wiki
indeed wins.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz