KDE_FULL_SESSION and version detection

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Feb 4 21:08:17 GMT 2007

On Sunday 04 February 2007 21:16, Lubos Lunak wrote:

>  That's the intention, it's set to something when full session is running,
> it's not set to something when not. Search me why contents of boolean
> envvars should matter.

Well, why should
export KDE_FULL_SESSION="false"
actually do the same thing as setting it to "true"?

Since an environment variable can be set to almost everthing and there is a
documented valid value, I find it more reliable to check for this value
instead of assuming things.

I got a bit angry on your first comment because you have commit access to the
repository, the check is a single line in a single file and you're telling me
10 months afterwards that it is "silly."

> > If the value is not intended to be checked, wouldn't it be better to
> > write something like "will be set to some random junk at KDE startup"?
>
>  It is set to some random junk, namely "true" :). I don't know who wrote
> that page, $KDE_FULL_SESSION used to be internal for quite some time. Now
> it's probably too late anyway.

Well, ok, depends on the definition of internal.
It's in our main startup script, not marked/commented as internal, quite
likely the only way to check for a KDE session (until the introduction of the
equally named X11 property at 3.5.5)

Assuming something is often problematic in software issues.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring