kcontrol empty

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sat Feb 3 12:27:15 GMT 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007 23:28, David Faure wrote:
> So a file to define the layout sounds like a good idea indeed;
> maybe a module could say which group it belongs to (about_me,
> regional_and_language) (in the service .desktop file), and the layout file
> says how groups are organized (and gives translated names to groups and
> metagroups).
+ icons

That's exactly what .setdlg solves for KSettings::Dialog.

> But this kind of hardcodes the layout into the services already, making it
> hard to change in the future. Which is exactly what XDG merging based on
> categories solves ;) Maybe we should indeed apply XDG merging to this; just
> with different data so as to be completely separate from the K menu.

I'm not very familiar with the XDG menu system, so I skimmed through the spec
but I now have the feeling that it's a bit too powerful for the needs of
systemsettings.

What do we need to be changable? And what do third parties want to adjust?
Here's what I think:
- Be able to add groups (1st and 2nd level)
- Move KCMs from one group to another (IMHO this should really be an exception
after the release of 4.0 to not confuse the users)
- Be able to add KCMs to new or existing groups

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de