kcontrol empty

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Feb 2 22:28:03 GMT 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> On Friday 02 February 2007 16:06, David Faure wrote:
> > Systemsettings uses a one-level hierarchy afaics
>
> Hmm, isn't it actually a two-level hiearachy?
>
> - Personal
>   - About Me
>     - Password & User Account
>     - Paths
>   - Regional & Language
>     - Count...
>     - Spell Checker

Hmm, you are right.
So a file to define the layout sounds like a good idea indeed;
maybe a module could say which group it belongs to (about_me, regional_and_language)
(in the service .desktop file), and the layout file says how groups are organized
(and gives translated names to groups and metagroups).
But this kind of hardcodes the layout into the services already, making it hard to change in
the future. Which is exactly what XDG merging based on categories solves ;)
Maybe we should indeed apply XDG merging to this; just with different data so as to
be completely separate from the K menu. Different desktop files (already done)
and a different layout .menu file. I guess that means moving some kbuildsycoca code
to a shared place, or having it done by kbuildsycoca itself.
But I'm no xdg menu expert so maybe I'm missing something.