Shipping a cursor theme with KDE

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Thu Dec 27 09:12:03 GMT 2007

Op woensdag 26 december 2007 19:51 schreef u:
> On Wednesday 26 December 2007 17:22:51 Dan Meltzer wrote:
> > As discussed recently on irc, I feel like it is far too late in the
> > release process to even considder committing something like this.  We
> > are ten days before a release, adding something this noticible to the
> > user with very few opportunities for them to provide feedback is very
> > irresonsible.  This should wait for 4.1 to allow for more testing and
> > feedback before a release.
>
> As discussed recently on IRC, I repeat me once more stating that not including
> something that might really improve the user experience with no drawbacks of
> any kind is rather unwise. Deadlines are put there to stabilize the software,
> not to block any kind of development.

Hi Riccardo,

I've read the complete mail and I must say I'm not convinced. We are ~ten days before the release and this is not the time to add new features which in my humble opinion this is.

> Besides, as it has been mentioned on numerous occasions that the
> so-called ?freeze? does not affect artwork.

I do not agree, it should at least behave with respect to the release schedule. We have let the icon changes go in because we wanted it to be cleaned and sorted. Although that has broken some applications which were using the old icons. This was on the edge of acceptable. But seeing the work you all have put it in that was no problem.

Anyhow, I think it is not the right time to add a mouse theme. Make it a patch for the distro's to pick up or make it available via Get Hot New Stuff  (?). I think we can make an exception for 4.0.1 - maybe -, but not for 4.0.0.

Toma