Shipping a cursor theme with KDE

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Wed Dec 26 18:51:35 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 26 December 2007 17:22:51 Dan Meltzer wrote:
> As discussed recently on irc, I feel like it is far too late in the
> release process to even considder committing something like this.  We
> are ten days before a release, adding something this noticible to the
> user with very few opportunities for them to provide feedback is very
> irresonsible.  This should wait for 4.1 to allow for more testing and
> feedback before a release.

As discussed recently on IRC, I repeat me once more stating that not including
something that might really improve the user experience with no drawbacks of
any kind is rather unwise. Deadlines are put there to stabilize the software,
not to block any kind of development.

Besides, as it has been mentioned on numerous occasions that the
so-called “freeze” does not affect artwork.

With this logic, you shouldn't even be able to commit new icons, just because
they might not look as good as the other ones, or some user might complain.

Come on, let's get reasonable. The theme has been showcased on my blog and
received quite a lot of positive user feedback. Additionally, the KDE artists
as well as KDE accessibility experts, who no doubt are well versed in this
topic, have evaluated the theme, and found it very good in terms of artwork,
and usability. To quote Pinheiro, for example, he thinks that "they are very
good, clean and refreshing", and that "this one is stilish yet clean". On the
other hand, he didn't like the previous version, which we've been refining
toghether. They were too intrusive, and might have resulted in being boring
long run.

Others may not even have been able to seen it yet (because the final design
has been finalized this month), even though the theme itself has always been
developed publicly. And we've especially designed it to be perfectly suitable
for long term usage, sometimes even sacrificing some beauty.

Now, why the user shouldn't get these goodies? Sure, someone might not like
it, but I just want to point out that the perfect artwork simply does not
exist. Our effort of not boring users with something that cannot be seen for
more than a couple of months is also the reason about why we're shipping a
white cursor theme, instead of something shinier (and trust me, something
shinier exists, check the other colors).

Not everyone will like it, I'm sure of that. Someone might also think that
Oxygen icons are shit. So be it, they are free to choose another theme. We're
not forcing anyone. It's just something that improves the overall user
experience with no drawbacks of any kind!

Deadlines are a good thing, and I respect them, I think that they're very
useful, and that asking for exceptions is not something we should do.

But the point is, I'm not asking for one! This is artwork! It doesn't
introduce any kind of regressions, it cannot harm at all! What could go
wrong? Stabilizing (and translating) is the whole point of deadlines, please
don't forget it.

Bye,
-Riccardo
--